Community Education Enrichment Class FAQs

What are Community Education enrichment classes?

Community Education’s enrichment program is dedicated to serving the community enrichment needs of Bowling Green, Warren County and the surrounding areas. Hundreds of classes are offered yearly, ranging from basic computer classes to ballroom dancing to oil painting and everything in between.

Who can attend?

Enrichment classes are open to community members of all ages. Children, ages 10 years and older, are welcome in most classes with a participating adult. Please inquire about specific classes by phone or email. There are no residency requirements.

How are enrichment classes funded?

Community Education is a not-for-profit agency. The fees paid by class participants partially cover the costs of providing classes, teachers, office staff, supplies, materials, promotion and equipment. Fundraisers and donations cover the balance.

Who teaches the classes?

Community Education contracts with approximately 70 part-time instructors who come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Some are working professionals who enjoy sharing their expertise, some are retirees who are now free to teach their passion, others are hobbyists.

When are classes offered?

Community Education offers three terms each year: the fall term runs from August through early December; the winter term runs late January through March, and the spring/summer term runs from April through July. Classes meet for as few as one or multiple sessions, typically for a set period of consecutive weekly sessions. Classes start throughout the term. Class days, dates, and times are specified in the course descriptions. Our schedule is available on our website, in our office, and in the monthly publication of SOKY Happenings.

Where do classes meet? How do I know where to go?

Most classes are held at local public school facilities, as well as, local businesses, churches, etc. Class locations and addresses will be noted in the course description. Signs should be clearly posted the first night of the class. If you have specific questions, you are welcome to call the Community Education office.

How do I register and make a payment?

PLEASE NOTE: All classes must be PREPAID. Once we receive your completed enrollment form and payment you are officially enrolled and placed on the class roster. All information collected on the enrollment form is used for communication between participants, instructors, and the Community Education office. Please remember to register early. In most cases, if a class does not meet minimum enrollment requirements three days prior to the class it will be cancelled.

In our office: stop by our office to register and make your payment for your class(es). We accept cash, check, or debit/credit card at 1227 Westen St., Bowling Green, KY 42104, our office hours are 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Mon.-Fri.

Over the phone: call us at 270-842-4281 during our office hours (8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Mon-Fri) to complete your enrollment.  Payment by credit card is expected at the time as well.

Online: follow this link to begin your enrollment: Payment by credit card is expected at the time you complete the online enrollment form.

Credit cards accepted: American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa

Can I register a friend or family member?

Yes, however, the registration form must be signed by the participant the first night of the class. Be sure to have his or her contact information correctly listed. Payment in full is required when registering.

What happens if the class is full?

If a class is already filled, you are placed on a waiting list. You will be notified if an opening becomes available. If there are several on a waitlist, we sometimes create another class session.

What are your policies for payment of fees?

Full tuition must accompany your registration. Registration payments may be made by check, cash, or by accepted credit/debit cards. We currently accept all major credit cards for enrichment registration.

How will I know if the class I registered for is going to take place?

Classes are determined a GO or a CANCEL 24 hours prior to the start date of the class. You will be contacted only if the class is cancelled, in which case you will receive a full refund.

Assume your class is being held if you do NOT receive a call or email from our office. Please be sure we have current contact information.

Can a class be cancelled due to low enrollment?

In most cases we require a minimum number of students for a class to run. Each minimum varies per class. If we have to cancel a class due to low enrollment, we will notify you and you will receive a full refund.

How will I know if enrichment classes are closed due to bad weather?

Community Education follows the same weather dismissal practices as Bowling Green Independent District schools.  If local news outlets broadcast that schools are closed due to weather, Community Education cannot hold classes at those facilities. Otherwise, classes will be held.

For other locations, we will notify you the best we can to let you know if a class is canceled or not.

What happens to my payment if I cancel my registration?

If you need to cancel a registration, you must notify us at 270-842-4281 at least 48 hours prior to the class start date. We will refund 80 percent of the class fees. You will be refunded in the form of a check mailed to the address listed on the registration. Please be sure we have current contact information.

Refunds will not be given after 48 hours prior to the start of class or after the class has started unless the class is cancelled by Community Education, at which time a full refund is given.

Since my class was cancelled or I had an excused emergency and couldn’t attend, can I transfer my payment to the next course term and take the class at that time?

Yes, if you decide that you cannot attend a class or a class is cancelled, you may choose to take a different class and those fees will transfer. If the fees for the previous class exceed that of the new one chosen, you will be reimbursed for the difference. If the fees for the newly chosen class are more than the cancelled class, you are responsible for paying the difference.

Will a refund be issued if I miss my class?

No, refunds are not issued for missed classes. Classes are prorated only at the instructor’s discretion.

Can’t I make up the class at a later date?

For safety and security reasons, only registered students are allowed in classes.  It is sometimes possible to attend another section of the same class if taught by the same instructor during the same term.  This is at the instructor’s discretion.

Why the strict refund policy?

Because the enrichment program is self-funded, decisions to run a class are made based upon student enrollment numbers 24 hours prior to the class start. If someone were to drop the class later, Community Education still has all costs associated with running the class.

Can I contact the instructor before taking the class?

Community Education has a policy of not releasing teacher contact information. Contact the office and we will provide them with your name and email or phone number and have them contact you.

Do I need a parking tag or have to pay for parking?

No, all of the facilities we use are public areas and have their own parking lots.

What should I bring to class?

Most class descriptions will include a list of necessary supplies or will instruct participants to ask Community Education for a separate supply list. Oftentimes, especially for beginning classes, your registration fees include what you need for the first class. The instructor then discusses supply needs. If you are taking a lecture class, you may want to bring a pad of paper and a pen or pencil to take notes. If you are taking a class at which you are likely to be physically active, please wear comfortable clothes and appropriate footwear.

How can I provide feedback for the course I have taken?

Community Education welcomes any and all feedback about our class topics, instructors, etc. If there are suggestions or concerns about your experiences, please call 270-842-4281 or email the Enrichment Coordinator at We are always looking for ways to improve our services to the community.

Can I purchase gift certificates?

Yes. You may purchase a gift certificate for a specific class or for a dollar amount that can be applied to a class of the recipient’s choice. Call the office at 270-842-4281.

Will I receive a certificate of completion?

Community Education’s classes are non-credit and taken for enrichment. If you want a certificate of completion, contact the office and one will be issued at the completion of your class.

I’d like to teach a class? How do I go about it?

If you are interested in teaching an enrichment course, please download and complete the Instructor Application form available under the Teaching Classes section of our webpage. You will be contacted only if the topic you are proposing is being considered for the program. Please note that the course schedule is determined several months in advance of the class catalog’s publication.